2.15.2011

Because A College Student Reads Books. Occasionally.

Hello Hello Hello!
Glad to see you made it through Valentines Day in one piece and not a big pile of mush!
xmission.com
I put off buying these Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series for quite a while. I mean everyone was reading it, and for a while although it never got as bad as the Twilight epidemic, it was crazy the attention these books were getting. So I thought I'd be cool and not read them. Jesus I'm an ass. THEY ARE AMAZING. And I mean that. Target was selling them for like $6 so I just decided on the fly to grab the first two, and it was the best decision I've made in recent times. So worth it. They are captivating, new, keep-you-on-the-edge-of-your-seat, can't-put-down kind of books. They are based on an extraordinary girl, heroine if you will, that although is the opposite of every heroine we've had in recent times, you can't help but root for her the whole way. Amazing writing, very brisk and to the point, but still very detailed and meticulous. I recommend!
kariannalysis.com
Another lovely one to spend the evening with is Water For Elephants. A little PG-13, parents decide, but it is another amazing hard-to-put-down story. Centered on the circus, an elderly man in a nursing home tells his 'life story' if you will, through his day dreams. It captures a circus traveling through America in the time of the Depression, which you can imagine, is a little harsh at times, but still managing somehow to maintain that 'dream' some of us have of running away to join the circus.
goodreads.com
Right now I'm currently reading a memoir of a young girl seeking asylum in America after being forced to marry a man nearly twenty years her senior, the same man who requested she be circumcised before she enter his house. I'm about halfway through and it's been a real eye-opener so far. I had no idea about the "female genetic mutilation" as they call it in America, and never really thought about the idea of asylum either. The book is called Do They Hear You When You Cry, and if you would like some more insight on the detention centers in America, along with life in Africa as a young woman this memoir is for you.
paperbackswap.com

0 comments: